JohnRich

The Government's New Right to Track Your Every Move With GPS

News:

"Government agents can sneak onto your property in the middle of the night, put a GPS device on the bottom of your car and keep track of everywhere you go. This doesn't violate your Fourth Amendment rights, because you do not have any reasonable expectation of privacy in your own driveway - and no reasonable expectation that the government isn't tracking your movements.

"That is the bizarre - and scary - rule that now applies in California and eight other Western states. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, which covers this vast jurisdiction, recently decided the government can monitor you in this way virtually anytime it wants - with no need for a search warrant..."
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599201315000

News:

"Government agents can sneak onto your property in the middle of the night, put a GPS device on the bottom of your car and keep track of everywhere you go. This doesn't violate your Fourth Amendment rights, because you do not have any reasonable expectation of privacy in your own driveway - and no reasonable expectation that the government isn't tracking your movements.

"That is the bizarre - and scary - rule that now applies in California and eight other Western states. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, which covers this vast jurisdiction, recently decided the government can monitor you in this way virtually anytime it wants - with no need for a search warrant..."

Oh My GAWD

News:

Oh My GAWD

Your radical left is showing again.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

News:

Oh My GAWD

Your radical left is showing again.

Shall we re-iterate my objections to the GOAT FUCK STUPID around here who supported the DUMB ASS FROM TEXAS and his DUMB ASS FROM MISSOURI Attroney General when they passed the PATRIOT ACT?????:S:S

Your radical right is readily apparent..... AGAIN.. since that is all ya got:S:S

An interesting story that definitely raises a few questions.

One thing the article talks about is people with gated driveways. Is there something magic about a gate or a fence that converts the property around your house to a different legal status? Is it because the gate/fence provides a reasonable expectation of privacy? (who hops fences?) What if you just put a sign up that said "Keep Out" or "Private Property - No Tresspassing"? Is there a reasonable expectation that people would obey such a sign?

Secondly, if such a device were found on your car and you destroyed it (presumably not knowing who had put it there) could you be charged with destruction of government property or obstruction of justice? That would be pretty ridiculous.

What if I (Joe Shmoe) put a GPS tracking device on someone's car without them knowing it? Is there anything I could be charged with? Is that at all a useful sanity check for decisions like this?

Shall we re-iterate my objections to the GOAT FUCK STUPID around here who supported the DUMB ASS FROM TEXAS and his DUMB ASS FROM MISSOURI Attroney General when they passed the PATRIOT ACT?????:S:S

that objection would carry more weight if it didn't have equal support from Diane Feinstein and pass overwhelmingly. And Reno didn't exactly show herself to be well above that dumbass from MO at times.

that objection would carry more weight if it didn't have equal support from Diane Feinstein and pass overwhelmingly. And Reno didn't exactly show herself to be well above that dumbass from MO at times.

I have actually contacted my senators and representatives about ridding our contry of that travesty..... HAVE YOU????

Did you notice how she back peddaled from mentioning the war that no one agreed with to the patriot act, that was largely agreed upon as well, after I showed her how many voted for it?

Just can't admit that hs eis wrong.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I have actually contacted my senators and representatives about ridding our contry of that travesty..... HAVE YOU????

Did you misread what I wrote? DiFi is my senator, and she has always supported increasing the scope of government law enforcement in the name of security.

The other one, Boxer, is just there to collect a paycheck.

hey... look who thinks she's holier than thou. (based off of an assumption no less)
--
Rob

Did you notice how she back peddaled from mentioning the war that no one agreed with to the patriot act, that was largely agreed upon as well, after I showed her how many voted for it?

Just can't admit that hs eis wrong.[:/]

You only see what is in your very subjective fantasy world...

No back peddling at all.

Iraq war= GOAT FUCK STUPID brought about by a bunch of DUMB ASSES

Patriot Act= GOAT FUCK STUPID brought about by the same bunch of DUMB ASSES

hey... look who thinks she's holier than thou. (based off of an assumption no less)

Oh..................... that would be a no.. based on past posting history:S:S:S

JohnRich, 2005 and 2007:

=========
The much-maligned Patriot Act knocked down that information-sharing wall, and now allows these agencies to share and compare info, so that we can do a better job in future of stopping foreign terrorists who have already infiltrated our country.
And some people want to do away with the Patriot Act...
==========
I find it ironic that the same people here who argue so vehemently in favor of now turning over doctor-patient records to the government, are the same ones who argue so vehemently against the narrow intrusions upon personal privacy from the Patriot Act.
==========

Sounds like you have become one of those people.

Oh..................... that would be a no.. based on past posting history:S:S:S

again... making assumptions.

and you're wrong. I most certainly contacted my senators and my representative about the patriot act as soon as it was made public. It was clear how it eroded the rights of citizens.

since you know me (and apparently my posting history) so well, I'm sure you can find a post where I've supported the patriot act.
--
Rob

again... making assumptions.

and you're wrong. I most certainly contacted my senators and my representative about the patriot act as soon as it was made public. It was clear how it eroded the rights of citizens.

since you know me (and apparently my posting history) so well, I'm sure you can find a post where I've supported the patriot act.

Yep you are right... did a search an you never had a post supporting the Patriot act... but I cant find one not supporting it either.

Sorry but a conservative Texican.... who posts vociferously on the second amendment.... apparently a supporter of capital punishment... other posts certainly on issues that are near and dear to conservatives little hearts.....

color me not convinced for non-support of Bush, Ashroft and their policies including the Patriot Act:S:S

Yep you are right... did a search an you never had a post supporting the Patriot act... but I cant find one not supporting it either.

Sorry but a conservative Texican.... who posts vociferously on the second amendment.... apparently a supporter of capital punishment... other posts certainly on issues that are near and dear to conservatives little hearts.....

color me not convinced for non-support of Bush, Ashroft and their policies including the Patriot Act:S:S

uh, hang on. You've been preaching about your civil rights virtues all morning, but now you're writing that despite any evidence of the contrary, you're convinced he has evil thoughts because he hasn't provided evidence to the contrary?

how fucking American is that?

Many civil libertarians support gun rights. At least some believe in capital punishment.

The DEA has been doing that with "supect" airplanes for at least 30 years that I know of. ;)

If they have reasonable suspicion to believe that a crime is being committed, then they should be able to get a judge to sign a warrant. Otherwise, random fishing expeditions should not be allowed.

But then, in another thread I'm told that I have no respect for the Constitution, so what do I know!

JohnRich, 2005 and 2007:

=========
The much-maligned Patriot Act knocked down that information-sharing wall, and now allows these agencies to share and compare info, so that we can do a better job in future of stopping foreign terrorists who have already infiltrated our country.
And some people want to do away with the Patriot Act...
==========
I find it ironic that the same people here who argue so vehemently in favor of now turning over doctor-patient records to the government, are the same ones who argue so vehemently against the narrow intrusions upon personal privacy from the Patriot Act.
==========

Sounds like you have become one of those people.

Sheesh. Irrelevant. The part of the Patriot Act I was talking about was the ability of the Feds to share critical info about terrorism with other agencies, in order to prevent terrorist attacks.

That's got nothing to do with tracking people without a warrant.

You had to go back 5 years to try to find a way to criticize me, and you failed. But hey, I know everyone needs a hobby, and yours is running around criticizing everything I post.